Bruce Weber: Plays and Drills for Scoring Against Zone Defenses
Learn critical zone offense concepts for beating a 2-3 and 1-3-1 zone defense
- Learn how to use ball screens and screening actions to create advantages for your offense
- Get simple quick hitters to get open shots against 2-3 and 1-3-1 zone defenses
- Learn multiple advantage/disadvantage drills for teaching zone offense principles
with Bruce Weber, Kansas State University Head Coach; 2013 Big 12 Coach of the Year; former University of Illinois Head Coach; 2005 Naismith Award National Coach of the Year; 2005 NCAA National Runner-up; 2x Big Ten Championship Coach
Zone defenses are becoming increasingly popular among basketball coaches and are creating difficulties for many teams. Bruce Weber lists the keys to playing against a zone as well as multiple plays to get your team open shots against both a 2-3 and 1-3-1 zone defense. Using on-court demonstrations, Coach Weber illustrates plays that utilize the keys to beating zone defenses.
Keys to Playing Against a Zone
While sets are great quick hitters if you need a bucket in a hurry, you still need a continuity offense or motion to beat the best zones. Coach Weber shares 11 key points to attacking a zone. You will learn why:
- Pushing the basketball is important against a zone
- Taking the basketball up to a defense is important
- You should reverse the ball against a defense
- Skip passes can help you beat a zone
Breakdown Drills to Beat the Zone
Learn how to use three breakdown drills and shooting drills to teach offensive concepts that can be run effectively against a zone defense. Coach Weber uses these drills to teach players how to play and execute the zone offense with sound offensive principles. You'll get:
- A 3-on-4 drill for perimeter players designed to teach spacing, use a variety of cutting actions, and utilize on-and off-ball screening actions.
- A drill that transitions into a 4-on-3 defense drill before going into a 4-on-4 sequence with a second big against a four-man zone.
- A second transition drill that starts as 4-on-5 against a zone and flows into 5-on-4 before building up to 5-on-5 action.
- Motion/Zone Shooting - a series of shooting drills geared for teaching how to shoot the basketball using motion offense concepts while running zone offense.
Set Plays Against Zones
If you need a bucket in a hurry, you need to have a variety of quick hitters. Coach Weber demonstrates 10 different quick hitters that are simple and effective against a 2-3 or 1-3-1 zone.
Coach Weber shows why his teams are effective against any type of zone. You will easily pick up a few sets or actions that you can install into your own zone offense package. Your opponents will never want to play zone against you again!