Learn how to develop a winning mindset into your program!
- Motivate your players to strive for excellence so they have the drive needed to be a champion
- Incorporate universal offensive principles that can improve your team's performance for any style of play
- Practice drills to build your team offense that will reinforce your most important concepts
with Dr. John Tauer, University of St. Thomas Head Men's Coach
2016 NCAA D-III National Champions - 2x NCAA D-III Champions (2016, 2011); 2016 UPS NABC Division III Coach of the Year; 2013 Basketball Times D-III National Coach of the Year; 4x MIAC Champions (2012-15); has the distinction of having played in, been an assistant coach, and been a head coach in the Division III Final Four.
The requirements for developing a championship program transcend the basketball skills and tactics that we so often focus on too much as coaches. To consistently win at a high level for any extended period of time requires a culture and tradition that continues even as players and strategies change.
Tauer shares his philosophy for building a winning culture. In this video, you'll learn new strategies for motivating your players to excel and getting them to have a team-first attitude. You'll also learn universal offensive principles and practice drills that can improve any team regardless of style of play. Coach Tauer, also a professor of psychology, brings a refreshing and unique approach to building a program.
Managing Team Culture
Creating a championship culture is an intentional process that must be at the forefront of your attention every day. Tauer explains a number of creative strategies that will help you build a mindset in your players to be the best they can be for the benefit of their teammates.
- Learn how Coach Tauer develops intrinsic motivation in his players to be as great as they can be.
- Get ideas for expanding your program's goals beyond numbers to much grander aspirations, such as striving for excellence and being a great person.
- See Tauer's breakdown of I.N.C.H.E.S and how these principles contribute to continued growth in your program.
- Learn how Tauer defines the 'DNA' of his team's culture.
- Three critical concepts are also discussed for how to make your players feel connected to the team.
Principles of Offense
You'll see how you can apply several principles to help your team culture manifest in the play of your offense. You will learn to establish non-negotiables, emphasize specific statistics, and help players better understand the difference between good and bad shot selection. Tauer shares eight offensive concepts that can be used to improve your offensive performance no matter what style you run.
Practice Drills for Offense
To instill this offensive philosophy into the habits of your players, Tauer demonstrates five 4-on-4 practice drills. The basic format of these drills can be adjusted to reinforce whatever offensive principle you want! Tauer also presents an innovative teaching strategy for ensuring your players are challenged in practice, regardless of their varying abilities.
Establish your own winning tradition with the motivational secrets and offensive philosophy from this video!
Produced at the Spring 2017 Myrtle Beach (SC) clinic.